76 New and Hot Stories You Might Have Missed
76 New and Hot Stories You Might Have Missed
It’s been a tough week for some of us to get back into the work groove after a week of networking parties at SXSW (First-World problems?) but never fear, because it’s the weekend again and we’ve rounded up this week’s features for you right here.
If you didn’t get to attend SXSW, be sure to catch up on our coverage of the event — there are photos, panels and infographics listed below. The new iPad also grabbed our attention this week, after months of speculation and waiting.
To get you in the St. Patrick’s Day spirit, we’ve got a couple things for you. What’s at the end of the rainbow? A pot of this week’s social media resources!
- How Iceland Is Rebuilding Its Economy With Social Media
We travel to Iceland to give you an exclusive look at how the country is using social media and tech to rebuild an economy.
- Mashable Rocks SXSWi 2012 [PICS]
Mashable’s presence at SXSW this year was one to remember, thanks to our big party, food truck and special SXSWi newspaper edition.
- New iPad: Everything You Need to Know
Now that the new iPad is here, we’ve rounded up all our coverage and resources for you in one place.
- 6 Things You Wish Your iPad Could Do for Business
Here’s a roundup of tasks that businesspeople wish their iPad could do to make business more efficient.
- The Best ‘Why I Am Leaving Goldman Sachs’ Parodies So Far
Internet satirists have already jumped on the “Why I Am Leaving Goldman Sachs” op-ed. Here are the best examples.
- KONY 2012: How Social Media Fueled the Most Viral Video of All Time
The Pew Internet and American Life Project investigated how KONY 2012 became the most viral video of all time.
- Pinterest Scams on the Rise: Protect Yourself [PICS]
Pinterest scams have increased with the network’s explosive growth, says an online security expert. Here’s what to watch out for.
- Top 3 Ways to Track the Republican Presidential Nomination Online
Check out these three websites with excellent interactive tools for keeping tabs on the all-important delegate race.
- Foursquare on Facebook: Hands on With the New Timeline Integration
Foursquare is getting ready to release a new Facebook integration that puts a check-in scorecard on your Timeline.
- How Rihanna Used a Groupon Strategy on Facebook to Launch Her Album
The pop star’s “Rihanna Unlocked” campaign blew up social media. Check out how it worked.
- SXSWi Award Winners Include Pinterest, Storify and a Few Surprises [PICS]
The 2012 SXSW Interactive Award Winners include a variety of unique sites, apps and services.
- Who Dominated the Social Buzz on the Last Day of SXSWi? [INFOGRAPHIC]
Here’s a look at the trending topics on the final day of SXSWi.
- Every Awesome Moment You Missed at SXSW [PICS]
Revel in a delectable gallery of unique images from SXSW 2012.
- Consumers Believe Facebook Users Should be Older than Age 13 Requirement [INFOGRAPHIC]
Although it is required by law for Facebook users to be at least 13 to join Facebook, some believe that age limit should be higher.
- How to Track Traffic From Pinterest in Google Analytics
How many referrals does Pinterest generate? Are those visits valuable? Try these four ways to measure Pinterest using Google Analytics.
- Why There Will Never Be One Social Network to Rule Them All
People aren’t using just one social networking site — they are embracing a dozen. When it comes to making quality connections, more is better.
- 20 TV Shows With the Most Social Media Buzz This Week [CHART]
Which TV shows generate the most buzz on social networks? Find out each week from our social TV chart.
- How to Plan the Perfect Wedding Online
Check out this list of digital (and practical) resources to help plan a wedding.
- What Men and Women Really Want, According to Social Media [INFOGRAPHIC]
What do men and women say they want on social media? Analytics firm NetBase looked at 27 billion conversations over a year to discover that the sexes definitely have one thing in common: food!
- SXSW 2012: Food Trumps Events on Social Media [INFOGRAPHIC]
Food dominated the social conversation at SXSW this past weekend. Find out what other announcements and events had the social web in a tizzy.
- See the Best SXSW Panels, Illustrated [PICS]
If you couldn’t make it to Austin this year, and you’re tired of following the hashtags, check out these sketches of what went down at some of the best SXSW panels.
- What People Are Pinning on Pinterest
Home, Arts and Crafts, and Style/Fashion are the most popular categories on Pinterest, a third-party study indicates.
- Do You Agree With Your Facebook Friends’ Politics? Not Likely
A study has found that friends on social media don’t always agree when it comes to politics.
- 10 Awesome Accessories to Organize Your Office
From cable management to tidying paperwork to writing implements, our stylish solutions will add some geek chic to your workspace.
- Rainn Wilson Talks Altruism on the Web — And Then Smashes a Guitar at SXSW
At a talk at SXSW 2012, Rainn Wilson discussed his website Soul Pancake and smashed a guitar onstage.
- Top 10 Twitter Pics of the Week
If you’re looking for the top 10 Twitter pics — the most popular of last week, all concentrated together — you’ve arrived.
- SXSW Insights: What People Talked About on Saturday [INFOGRAPHIC]
If there’s one thing SXSW attendees love, it’s talking about SXSW on their favorite social networks. We have specifics in this infographic.
- Happy Birthday Chuck Norris: King of Internet Memes
To celebrate the manliest birthday in the world, we’re providing you with the straight facts about Chuck Norris.
- SXSW Tour: Rain, Food Trucks and Whimsical, Bizarre Promotions [PICS]
Are you at SXSW? Tweet your pics with the hashtag #mashsxsw, and we might include them in our roundups.
- Dog Blogs: 15 Adorable Tumblrs for Canine Connoisseurs
We have picked our 15 favorite dog-themed Tumblrs, covering all kinds of canine capers.
- Documentarians: KONY 2012 Achieved Its Goal
A SXSW panel of documentary makers addressed the effectiveness of KONY 2012 as social documentary.
For more social media news and resources, you can follow Mashable‘s social media channel on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Business & Marketing
- Top 7 Tax Deductions for the Self-Employed
Learn about some of the key deductions available to freelancers or self-employed taxpayers with small or startup businesses.
- 12 Top Community Managers Share Their Tips for Better Engagement
Learn from 12 great community managers how to promote quality interaction with your fans and customers on social media.
- Can a Startup Renaissance Fix Young America?
John Harthorne, CEO of MassChallenge, says we can alleviate youth unemployment through a “global startup renaissance.”
- How to Defeat the Social Media Skeptics in Your Company
When execs ask about the return on investment in social media, Jeff Hayzlett responds, “What’s your return on ignoring?” Here’s how to convince your company’s skeptics that social media are worth their time.
- Forget Touring: Can Musicians Make Money Singing on Skype?
Singer-songwriter Denison Witmer has embarked on his “Everywhere At Once” tour, where he plays songs for you live, via Skype, for $25. But it’s not for everyone.
- Making Fashion Personal: Macy’s Smart Social Media Strategy
The retail brand’s cross-platform and in-store tie-ins are designed to make customers feel personally styled. Here’s how they do it.
- How Facebook Sponsored Stories Can Boost Engagement
By incorporating social endorsement prominently into ads, Facebook sponsored stories are more relevant to the average user.
- Yahoo’s Facebook Lawsuit: Top 10 Twitter Responses
Yahoo’s lawsuit against Facebook drew some heavy criticism on Twitter. Here are some of the best tweets.
- Inside Tumblr’s Memetastic New York HQ [PICS]
Take a peek into the microblogging site’s colorful and busy NYC digs.
- 8 Best Practices for Food Brands on Pinterest
Food is a major topic on Pinterest. Learn how to use Pinterest to market your food brand, restaurant, dining blog and more.
- Facebook’s 6-Point Plan for Building Brands in the Social Media Age
Facebook recently published a study in conjunction with Forrester Research that found how brands have changed because of social media.
- 3 Ways to Woo a Startup Into Hiring You
Here are three stories of successful job searches that will inspire you to go above and beyond to score the gig of your dreams.
- Survey: Telecommuting Becoming More Prevalent [INFOGRAPHIC]
Working from home is not for everyone, but for many of us, it turns out to be more productive.
- Pinterest’s First Investor Explains the Secret to the Startup’s Success
Pinterest’s first investor, Brian Cohen, sat down with Mashable at SXSW 2012 to talk about the startup’s path to today.
- To Follow or Not To Follow: Should Small Businesses Follow Everyone Back on Twitter?
Is it wise for small businesses to follow back everyone on Twitter?
- Beware: Top 10 Scams of the Year [INFOGRAPHIC]
The Better Business Bureau has released this infographic, charting the biggest scams of 2011.
- Here’s What Happens When You Hate Your Job
Sometimes the place you thought you wanted to work is not the right fit. Here’s how to recover from that job you hate.
- Everything Your Employees Need to Know About Social Media [INFOGRAPHIC]
This infographic explains how to train your employees to best represent your brand in social media.
For more business news and resources, you can follow Mashable‘s business channel on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Tech & Mobile
- 20 Most-Shared Guinness Ads on YouTube
In honor of St. Paddy’s, check out the Irish brewery’s top 20 most shared ads on YouTube.
- ’90s Tech Icons: Where Are They Now?
Let’s catch up with some of the people that made ’90s computers and Internet culture cool.
- 10 Best Beer Apps for St. Patrick’s Day
St. Patrick’s day is just around the wee bend. If you’re preparing your belly for beer, check these 10 mobile apps for all things hop-related.
- 10 Classy Cases for Your New iPad
As the new iPad hits shop shelves across the world, let’s take a look at 10 cases to match everyone’s shiny new tablet.
- Top Tech Buzzwords You Use But Can’t Define [VIDEO]
The Global Language Monitor has released a list of the most confusing tech buzzwords of the decade, so far.
- 10 March Madness Brackets That Have Nothing to Do With Basketball
Not a fan of basketball? Don’t worry, there’s a bracket for you too.
- Will Streaming March Madness Games Kill Your Office Network?
Streaming video of March Madness games at work has a large impact on office networks. Here’s what to do.
- 10 Futuristic Products in Development Now
The future is here, and it’s filled with all of the mind reading, car flying, robot powered inventions you can imagine.
- Americans Don’t Have Time For Slow Websites [INFOGRAPHIC]
Got a minute? See how mere milliseconds of extra loading time can mean major lost revenue for websites and ecommerce companies.
- How to Use Technology to Beat Obama’s March Madness Bracket
The algorithm-based site Pick My Bracket might just help you win the Obama Bracket Challenge this March Madness.
- SXSW 2012: Nothing You Expect, Everything You Need
Serendipity: That was the buzz word at this year’s South by Southwest Interactive conference in Austin, Texas. Here’s an SXSW wrap-up.
- Make Your Own Google Doodle, Origami StyleThe Google Doodle designer for the origami image is encouraging the public to re-create it by folding paper to create a real-life version.
- 7 Baller Apps to Follow March Madness Online
We’ve rounded up seven of our favorite apps to follow the March Madness activity.
- 7 City Parking Apps to Save You Time, Money and Gas
Check out these helpful apps that can ease the problem of trying to find parking on city streets.
- Happy Pi Day: 10 Accessories for Math Geeks
We’re geeking out with 10 awesome accessories that honor Pi!
- How Intel Wants to Replace Your Cable Box
Intel plans to offer online access to U.S. TV cable channels, an invention Intel calls a “virtual cable operator.”
- The Radical Growth of the App Economy [INFOGRAPHIC]
The mobile development boom hasn’t just created Angry Birds — it’s also created thousands of jobs. Here’s a look at the growth stats.
- Why the iPad 2 is Far More Likely to Break than the Original iPad [INFOGRAPHIC]
A survey by SquareTrade says the iPad 2 is far more likely to break than the original iPad. Will the new iPad be any different?
- Homeless Hotspots: Not a Terrible Idea
Turning the homeless into wireless hotspots at SXSW has proven to be a controversial decision. But is it really such a bad thing?
- 3 Must-Have iPhone Apps for Business Travel
Are you constantly traveling for work? Here are three apps to make your jetsetter lifestyle much simpler.
- Mobile Privacy: 5 Legal Concerns for Developers
Given recent FTC scrutiny, app developers should be conscious of how much data they collect from users. Heed these tips to stay ahead of the curve.
- How One Man’s Big Idea Changed Digital Map Making
Steve Coast made a single decision: Maps should be free for all. Eight years later, OpenStreetMap is changing the space like never before.
- SXSW 2012: The Year of Infectious Optimism
South By Southwest Interactive conference couldn’t dampen our spirits; it just made downtown Austin all the more sweet when the clouds finally parted on Sunday.
- Doctors Believe Using Health Apps Will Cut Down on Visits [INFOGRAPHIC]
Many doctors believe that accessing apps that keep track of your health will help cut down on doctor visits, a new report suggests.
- How Cut the Rope Made it to Windows 8 Consumer Preview Edition
>Cut the Rope is one of the first apps to make it over to Microsft’s Windows 8 Consumer Preivew. But how did it get there?
- Entrepreneur Astronaut: Here’s How You’ll Get to Space
Richard Garriott, age 50, was the 483rd person to leave planet Earth — and he’d like you to be one of the first thousand.
- Top 10 Tech This Week [PICS]
In a week dominated by Apple’s iPad event, there were a surprising number of fascinating tech products introduced at the same time — we bring the best to you with the latest edition of Top 10 Tech This Week.
For more tech news and resources, you can follow Mashable‘s tech channel on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Image courtesy of iStockphoto, johnwoodcock.
More About: COMMUNICATIONS, features, Features Week In Review, Media, Tech
Go to Source